Wednesday 17 April 2013

#6: Final Reflection on Learning


Working on our group’s proposal has been a bittersweet journey for me. I can still remember how bitter I felt when Joe decided to drop the module, leaving Austen and I to complete a job meant for four students.

The severity of being a two man group showed when we were collecting research for the proposal. We had to tap extensively on our circle of friends in order to collect the number of respondents for our survey. Needless to say, the amount of writing for the proposal doubled for each of us.  Despite the fact that Austen had many innovative ideas to share, we were also concerned about the lack of different perspectives we have about our ideas. Thankfully, Amira agreed to sit in on our initial meetings to share her point of view. (So, thank you Amira! :D)

Though the workload doubled for us in a two man group, I have to admit that communication within the group is easier for us too. Setting up meetings was met with much less hindrance than compared to a four people group since we only had to consider the schedules of both of us.  Conflicts in ideas were also easier to solve.

I am thankful for this opportunity to work on this research project. Though this is not the first time I have written a research paper, I believe this is the first time that I had to collect so much primary research. Erstwhile, I had also learnt to look at different perspectives of ideas presented by my group.

As the semester draws to a close, I can safely say I have learnt how to communicate in a more effective manner. 

9 comments:

  1. Hello Min Yu,

    From the OP, I think you guys have got alot of work done despite being a 2 person team, so good job!

    I will remember how you always burst out in laughter so easily in class;p
    Have a great holiday in China!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ian,
      Thanks for your encouragement! :D I will also remember how you only look fierce but is actually a very friendly person! i really wish you all the best in your career path. GO FAR!
      Cheers, Min Yu

      Delete
  2. Hi Min Yu,

    Good job on your research project, both on the oral presentation and the proposal :) You've really improved by a lot, in holding your laughter and the use of fillers during your presentation. *pat on the back* Despite having a much smaller number of people in your team, you managed to persevere and did a very good job, I really respect your team for that! :D
    Anyway, you are really bubbly and friendly as a person, which makes you appear charming, including your presentation period (maybe that is why I bought your idea after the op hahaha :p.) It's great to meet a person like you, someone who appears cheerful all the time. I hope whatever we've learnt in this course will be of a use to both you and me, so do not forget them and keep on practicing whenever there is a chance. :) All the best to you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Josephine! I also had fun being classmates this semester and I hope to see you around in school. :D All the best for the future!
      Cheers, Min Yu

      Delete
  3. Hi Min Yu!

    It was my pleasure to help you and Austen out in any way that I can (: It was awesome taking this module with you (actually taking any module with you is always awesome, be it Statistics or Life Science or communication modules).

    I am sure we will treasure and continuously hone the skills which we have learned in ES2007S throughout our professional and personal lives. It was nice to see how you progress to be a more effective communicator and learn how to control your nerves when it comes to presenting. Thanks for helping me do the same too!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amira,
      Thanks for always agreeing to listen to me present and being such an awesome and encouraging friend! you may not know it but i really appreciate you recommending this module to me :D
      and thanks for always bearing with my laughter even though it happens at inappropriate times. Thank you! :D
      Cheers, Min Yu

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks very much for this honest reflection, MinYu. Your description is clear and concise, with a large helping of passion for good measure. I appreciate the difficulty of the situation that you have described so well here, and you and Austen's ability to endure the challenges and produce a very good proposal and presentation has impressed me. It's good to note that there was the advantage of being able to keep conflicts to a minimum and meet more easily. You describe all this well in the post.

    I find it interesting that you pulled Amira in to give you added perspective. Actually, for a moment early in the project I was tempted to add a person to your group, but that meant I would have had to take a person out of another who had already done work in that regard. All in all though, I'd say you and Austen did very well as a duo.

    Thank you, MinYu, for your hard work and good cheer throughout the term. You made great strides that I am sure will be beneficial to you in the future.

    All the best, and keep up that jolliness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad,
      Thank you for your encouragement and advice this entire module. I will bear your advice in mind, especially towards minimising the amount of singlish I use.
      Cheers, Min Yu

      Delete