Thursday 21 February 2013

Post #3: Cover letter



The following is my cover letter for application to MSc(statistics) Imperial. More information about the course can be found via navigating this link:http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/statistics/msc

Leow Min Yu
Block XXX Tampines Avenue X #XX-XXX
Singapore XXXXXX

17th Feb 2012

Dr Axel Gandy
Course Director of the MSc in Statistics
Department of Mathematics
Imperial College London
South Kensington Campus
London
SW7 2AZ
UK

Dear Dr Gandy,
Application for the MSc Statistics

I am keen to pursue the MSc Statistics in your esteemed organisation, Imperial College London as advertised in your school website. Currently, I am a year three student with National University of Singapore pursuing a degree in Science (Statistics). I expect to graduate in 2014 with second upper honours. I always have a strong interest in widening my knowledge of statistics as I am passionate about the applications in statistics and also in equipping myself with a stronger theoretical background.

My interest in gaining a deeper theoretical background was further reinforced by taking a postgraduate course during my exchange programme in Queens’ University at Kingston. During the course of one school semester, I developed a stronger understanding of the stochastic process due to the extra content covered in the postgraduate course as compared to the undergraduate course offered in my home university. I appreciated the extra knowledge gained as the stochastic process is largely relevant to research and real problems arising in science, industry and commerce. Even as an undergraduate then, I find my passion to learn more about the different application models in statistics has allowed me to read and pass the postgraduate course successfully. The experience has prepared and strengthened my personal belief that I am suited to further my studies in statistics.

My two months attachment as a secondary school teacher for the Ministry of Education (Singapore) has provided me with an invaluable working experience. I was tasked to write and research on a report on ‘Mathematical Modelling’ and later on presented my findings to the school management. I am confident of my ability to not only conduct extensive research as an individual but also liaise with my mentor to procure a stronger understanding of the research problem.

I am extremely interested in MSc Statistics offered by Imperial College London and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely,
Leow Min Yu
Tel: (+65 XXXXXXXX)

10 comments:

  1. hi min yu! (:

    I appreciate that your cover letter shows clear introduction, body and conclusion. An element of persuasion is also clearly evident in your letter.

    However, I may have some issues with coherence in your letter, especially from the second paragraph to the third paragraph. Perhaps you should use an appropriate transitional device in the third paragraph to clearly illustrate the relevance of your working experience to your graduate course application.

    Aside from that, I find that your cover letter is a rather effective one! (: I sincerely wish you all the best for your honours year. Do your best and I really hope MOE will sponsor you for your graduate studies too! Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      Thank you for your advice. After reading it again, I do realize that there is indeed some transition problem from the second(explicit skills) to third (implicit skills) paragraph.

      Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback.

      Delete
  2. Hi minyu,

    Your cover letter is very well written and substantiated with the necessary qualities that are needed. I think what you can work on is to show imperial college that you have actually done up some research on them. For example, aligning your skills set and experiences with their mission or vision. You may also want to add in some of your non acadamic experiences to make you into an all-rounder. Other than that, I think there is not much problem with your cover letter and I hope you can get into what you want.

    Cheers,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      Thank you for your advice. I do realize my cover letter is lacking a personal touch. I will take note when doing my third draft.

      Cheers,
      Leow Min Yu

      Delete
  3. Hi Minyu!

    It was really a pleasant experience to read your letter. It's short and concise. However, I feel that there is still room for improvement to "Sell" yourself more and provide more information to the reader. For example, in your 2nd last paragraph, where you mentioned about "Mathematical Modelling" research. I would be curious to know abit more about it. So, perhaps you can elaborate on that, and to sell yourself better, say did the school management team upon reviewing your proposal use your findings? It will be a bonus if they do use your findings, so write it in! :)

    Keep up the good work and good luck! :)

    Cheers,
    Aster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      Thank you for your useful advice. Yup, I will make sure to elaborate about my research in my third draft.
      Cheers, Min Yu

      Delete
  4. Hi min yu!

    I find your letter to be very effective. In particular, you promoted your academic and work experiences especially convincingly.

    However, i would like to suggest two points for improvement. Firstly, you might want to add in a section promoting your leadership skills or school involvement activities! Although the master's program is highly academic, persuading your reader that you are a very well-rounded individual will definitely add value to your letter.

    Secondly, there is a minor grammatical error in your first paragraph. "I always have a strong interest" should be replaced with "I have always had a strong interest".

    Nevertheless, it is a very convincing letter. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Weizhe,

      Thank you for helping to spot my grammar mistake. I have changed it in my third draft.
      I will include in my school involvement activities once I have thought of any.
      Thanks once again.
      Cheers, Min Yu

      Delete
  5. Hello Min Yu!

    Thats a very concise letter you have there. I like how it gets the point across effectively without too many words that will otherwise make the letter too long for the reader. The things stated are also very relevant to what you're applying for.
    Even as an undergraduate then, I find my passion to learn more about the different application models in statistics has allowed me to read and pass the postgraduate course successfully.


    However, I'd like to suggest some changes to make the flow better, on top of the above suggestions by our classmates. In the 2nd paragraph, you mentioned "Even as an undergraduate then, I find my passion...". I feel that by modifying it and adding a "that" to "Even as an undergraduate, I find that my passion.." will make the sentence clearer.

    Modifying that together with the adding above suggestions from our classmates will make this all the more awesome. Good luck to your application for further studies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Austen,
      Thank you for helping to spot my grammar mistake! It is greatly appreciated. I have updated it in my third draft.
      Cheers, Min Yu

      Delete